Sunday, April 25, 2010

God's messages through the weekend

I have had quite a mixed month. I'm working closely with surgeons this month, which has proved to be mostly stereotypical. I must qualify that. These surgeons seem to have a pretty decent bedside manner (not typical) but are fairly harsh and demanding with themselves and their colleagues (read: me). I've been really working on my attitude lately, having God remind me that if being overnight call on a night that I was not scheduled to be is the worst of my worries, I am extremely blessed. However, this does not take away the grueling fatigue I fight at times with the onslaught of harsh comments and really sick patients. I have definitely been stretched. So, just when I was not sure I could take it any longer (come on, you'd think it would be common sense to tell me that a patient I had been trying to save all night died), I have had a weekend of reminding me where my priorities should stand. I slept Sat. but had a wonderful time hanging with my boys. We had a sermon on Sat. night highlighting the scandals of child and sex slaves in the world and our apathetic response as American Christians to these horrors. How blessed I am for being in a place where I don't even worry about that. Then we watched "The Blind Side"- wow great movie, very touching. Again, I have been blessed, I have never worried about not having a place to sleep. So I was reminded again that my little insignificant stressors are fairly minor. Sunday, God knew what was best once again, I slept in (on accident) instead of running a 5K I was hoping to race. Another reminder- you don't have to do it all. And then, we went to the zoo with BJ instead of working on all I felt was pressing- again, reminder of priorities as I watched him ooo and gasp at the animals. Finally, we "ended" the weekend with a parenting class with some great friends- where one announced she was pregnant, and another shared her heart and struggles. We rejoiced and grieved. AND the lesson specifically hit on not thinking we can do it all. So now, I'm trying to focus on God and his provisions instead of panicking about the massive amount of things yet to get done, laundry, senior project, journal club, sleep. God is good, He gets us when we forget to listen and focus on ourselves instead of others. He sends us messages through our friends, missed alarms, sweet kiddo hugs, pastors, and life in general. Are you listening?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh I love you Cassi! And I love what you wrote on this blog! And I love how God is working in your life! Thank you for sharing with us... I totally needed that today!

Miranda said...

I think this is my favorite post yet. ;)