Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spanglish

In my attempt to take advantage of vast amount of knowledge one can acquire during the early years of life, my son has really learned some quality Spanglish. It may be that my Spanish vocabulary has suffered some (or that I never previously knew the word for hyena- which is hiena FYI) but BJ has started saying some good ole fashioned Spanglish phrases. Two of his favorites are: Luz on (for light on) (which is easier for luz encendido) and mas please (again easier than mas por favor). I would say that I'm disappointed, but I'm not. As crazy as it sounds, I worry that my knowledge of the Spanish language is not comprehensive enough for him to truly be fluent- and I have been looking for classes (not just to learn his colors and numbers, but true conversation). However, so far we have been doing pretty well. I can ask him to pick up his toys, tell him that we need to go have a bath, put on close, etc. and he understands me. He also has quite a few words he says himself (some of which he doesn't know the English translation to). On a routine basis we hear luz (light), mas (more), uva (grape), ojo (eye), boca (mouth), agua (water), cereal (with the Spanish pronunciation) etc. Plus there are a dozen or so words that he will repeat if you remind him. It is cool, but I hope that it turns into conversation instead of a sweet party trick of a few Spanglish phrases from a very gringo kid.


But what a sweet gringo. . .and growing, here I was amazed and only a bit miffed that he wouldn't let me hold on to him on the ski lift going up the mountain the other day.
Ready to hit the alpine slide (taken before I jumped on to go down!) He loved it!
Our family (not sure what is going on with my hair) at the top of the mountain on an awesome Day on the Town with some great friends the Clinefelter's!

Mischevious grin-- Go Huskers!!




1 comment:

Miranda said...

You probably know this better than me, but in my ESL master's classes, we always heard that kids spoke a mixture of language and easily sorted out as they got older, even choosing the appropriate times to speak one language or the other. I'm so jealous!