Friday, January 7, 2011

Thoughts. . .

There has been a lot on my mind lately. I'll blog about all that I can tonight before Brandon gets back with my dinner.

- We are celebrating- I am officially board certified in family medicine!! Yay! Another milestone in my journey that now will just be working as a family physician- which I love.

-Wednesday was a hard day for my Alma mater Millard South High School. As I'm sure many of you have already heard, a high school senior shot both the Principal and Vice Principal after being suspended for driving on the football field. The student later drove a couple blocks from my parents house and shot himself. The Vice Principal was Brandon and my 10th grade English teacher. She was a great teacher and administrator and will be horribly missed. It has been very strange, watching, feeling this from afar. My heart breaks for all involved- the pain- even for the shooter and his family. And as a parent, I view it so much differently than I did with the Columbine shooting which occurred when we were Seniors in high school. Then I was saddened and a bit freaked out at the possibility that something so terrible could happen. Now, I'm freaked out at the possibility that something so terrible could happen to my son. I worry, if my amazing high school in Omaha, NE isn't safe, where is? How can I send my son into a world that is so corrupted with hate and violence? How can I keep him safe and yet teach him? How can I best support him so that he always understands he can talk to me and there is NO situation dire enough to kill someone else or yourself? How do I teach him to be a friend who reaches out to the outcasts? It is heartbreaking and a daunting task. I pray almost everyday that God would bring amazing Godly friends into his life and that he would be a man of integrity to point others to Christ. I think that is the best thing I can do given our world.

-In lighter news- I do need to post about Christmas- which was really fun this year. BJ was so excited to play with his extended family members and open and play with new gifts. Here are some of the highlights of funny stories over the last little bit.

BJ followed my parents up to their closet to change clothes after church. My mom explained they needed to change clothes so Anson (BJ's cousin- younger by 5 months) could take a nap. BJ ran out to the top of the stairs and yelled, ANSON, NAP! Too bad BJ had to take a nap shortly after that. :)

We drove to Creston to visit Brandon's grandpa. It is a 2 hour drive but we were a little concerned given BJ vomited 3 times in 4 hours on the way to Omaha and only stopped after giving him the "good" medicine mom wrote for at Walmart. He did fine out to Creston and on the way back really needed a nap. We were listening to a book on tape but told him to take a nap and we wouldn't give him any toys. So he decided to talk, loudly for the first hour. Finally, Brandon turned off the book and said, "It's quiet time now." BJ stopped talking and within 5 minutes collapsed forward fast asleep!
BJ and Anson got many of the same toys and presents from my parents on Christmas day. They are close in age and both into cars and trains. Toward the end of the day however, we were getting to the end of the gifts and BJ really didn't need anymore toys- he has plenty, whereas Anson has had minimal in the toy department for some time now. Anson opened his gift- another truck, while BJ could barely wait to open his gift next. He finally was given the okay and pulled the tissue paper out of the bag, took a look inside and in all seriousness and disappointment yelled "AH, shoes?!? (pointing in the bag), TRUCK! (pointing at Anson's truck)" He eventually decided the shoes were pretty cool but was very aware that Anson had just one upped him in present count!

That's enough thoughts for now, hoping my dinner will be here soon! Pics to be posted later :)

No comments: