Monday, May 14, 2012

What I hope my kids will remember about me. . .

I have been thinking a lot lately- with Obama supporting gay marriage, the Times article about attachment parenting, my own criticisms of never being perfect. . .  as much as I have some strong opinions about much of the above, and other "hot" topics, I think it is sad that we use these issues to beat up verbally (or in prose) on each other.  The title of Times article "Are you Mom enough?" suggesting that somehow those who attachment parent are more moms than the rest of us is so interesting to me.  I have a lot of arguments myself on the topic- but since I haven't read the article and really didn't get on tonight to discuss the utility of nursing and to what age, I thought of a different perspective.  What do I hope my kids remember about me?  Here is a start of a list:

-Not that I went to church on a regular basis, but that I loved God and prayed for our family daily.
-Not that I never fought with their dad or got irritated, but that I continued to pursue him, my love, everyday of our lives.
-Not that I was home or worked or how I spent all of my time, but how I spent it when I was with them.
-Not that there were some nights I came home from work after they went to bed, but that I was always willing to sleep in their bed with them on the "bad" nights.
-Not that I always had the answer, but that I would always listen.
-Not that I was "skinny," but that I was active, and never stopped moving.
-Not that the world centered around them, but that I taught them how to have balance in life.
-Not that dinner was always amazing, but it was always together as a family.
-Not that I made them eat their veggies or limited sugar, but that they knew how to eat healthfully, to fuel themselves for the day.
-Not that my house was amazing, clean, or always picked up, but it was always ours.
-Not that I was strict, but that I taught them how to be smart in this scary world.
-Not that they had to live up to my expectations, but that they were special because they were mine.
-Not that I didn't make mistakes, but how I fixed them when I did make them.
-Not that I could do everything, but that I always tried.
-Not that my love is perfect, but that God's is.
-Not that I could protect them from everything, but that I taught them to defend themselves.
-Not that they should be afraid of the enemy, but that they would be individuals, that when they rise from bed in the morning, Satan would say "Shoot, they're up!"
-Not that I always loved every moment of every day, but that I always loved being their mom.

We do so much as parents because we want so much more for our kids, and we do the best we can, everyday, according to what we believe is best for them.  I want my kids to grow up to see the deeper meaning in all of it, and if I remember to live that way on a daily basis-it doesn't really matter who's parenting technique is right or if we never make mistakes. As I said, this is a start to the list, not the whole thing.

BJ and Anika, I am amazingly blessed to be your mom, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  There are days where I am scared about the future, scared that I won't do the right thing, or will be unable to protect you- but I will always love you- no matter what.  I plan to spend everyday God gives us together trying to teach you of His love and mine, so that you will never doubt how much we love you and how special you are to us.  God has entrusted you both to me, and I pray He is honored with how I take care of His little blessings.
Love Mommy


1 comment:

Rebecca Mueller said...

Here, here!

And I am sure you try to encourage your parents in your clinic of the same-- sometimes I feel like we in the medical profession write too many rules that matter so little-- don't switch formulas, try baby veggies before baby fruits, etc, etc.

Allowing for the differences and just every day trying your best in a way that makes sense does a lot. I also resent the term "attachment" parenting. My son barely breastfed till 4 mo, rarely ever sleeps in our bed, and spends most of his day at pre-school, but every night he is happy to come home and he loves "family days" (i.e. the weekends) and is both securely independent and affectionately attached. I think we outside of the movement should probably refer to it as "dependent parenting."