Monday, October 21, 2013

Moments

BJ turned 5 today.  That seems totally surreal.  How did my sweet chunk-a-monk baby boy turn 5?  And as this milestone is reached it just reminds me how much I want to hold on to the sweet memories with him.  Some of the highlights for me today:

"Waking him up" (he was already awake but I went upstairs) with a chocolate muffin (his wish for breakfast) with a lit candle, watching him blow it out, and then ask to do it all again.
Watching him pretend most of the morning it was relighted, after I only relighted it once.
Watching him bound into preschool, wanting to help carry the huge plate of cookies we made to share with his class.
Seeing him run to the truck after class, ready for the next adventure.
Seeing him drink in the fact that Daddy, Mommy, Paola, and Anika all got to go to the park for a picnic with him.
Watching him show Daddy "Airplane park" and tell him that now he is jumping on a plane to fly to Omaha.
Checking in on him at nap time, after he insisted he did not want to take a nap, he wasn't tired, and seeing him totally sacked out.
Taking him to his first ever in the theater movie- just his dad, him, and me.
Getting him into the movie free after the ticket counter guy said "How old are you buddy?" He says 4, I correct him to 5.  The ticket guy says "you say 5, I heard 3 which means you're free today"
Sitting in that movie, in a theater all to ourselves, eating smuggled in nuts, M & M's, and gummy bears with a huge soda his Dad got us to share.
Running to the bathroom 3/4 of the way through after he drank so much soda.
Running back to the theater after the bathroom and his asking me "Mommy, when we get back to the movie, can we snuggle?"
Spending the rest of the movie sitting with a backrest in my back, because I wanted to snuggle with my son.
Watching him get so excited to open his presents, but not so much that he forgot to share.  "Anika, how about we both get 2 laps around on the scooter then switch?"
 His letting Anika have the first 2 laps :)

I wish I could drink in every precious moment and not forget it, only cherish it.  And yet I know I've forgotten more than I remember.  And not every moment is precious, but it is ours.  My sweet bugaboo and me.

Look at that sweet boy. . .
 Almost 1 vs. 5
 Playing house house
 Soccer- sweet smile

No comments: