Thursday, January 29, 2009

Colds

It is official, BJ has his first cold. Such a bummer. He has done fairly well with it though, which is good. He was sent home from daycare Monday with reports of orange diarrhea, being fussy, and pink eye. The evidence for all of this was lacking, but I had Brandon take him to the doctor (I was on call) to prove he didn't have pink eye. I was a little frustrated that his own Dr. Mom's opinion wasn't enough but whatever. The diagnosis from the doc- likely viral pink eye, no drops, back to daycare. As the week has progressed it has become obvious that the somewhat pink tinged eye with minor mucus is from his cold- he is more congested and has been coughing some. Poor guy. He has been sleeping a ton at the house, but still struggles at daycare. According to his daily report today, he actually was put down 3 times for a nap within 1.5 hours and each time "slept" for 10 minutes. I brought him home and had to wake him up 2x to feed and he fell asleep feeding- something he hasn't done in a few months. Luckily despite his cough, he hasn't been waking himself up at night and is quite playful in the mornings. Poor guy though- we are anxious for him to get over it.


Mom is also sick :( We aren't sure if I got my cold from BJ or from the hospital, but it started after his. It doesn't help that I'm a bit sleep deprived between BJ's night feedings (which aren't bad at 10:30 but when I'm getting up at 5 a.m. to get ready for work) and my nights on call. Yesterday I was feeling pretty run down and laid down for a nap at 8:45 p.m. But today I have barely a squeak of a voice. Given it got worse throughout the day, I couldn't communicate with patients, and that i'm on call tomorrow, I took the afternoon as a sick day and came home to nap with BJ. I'm still feeling pretty run down, so I'm off to bed after this. I'm planning on having my intern do most of the talking on call tomorrow, but you could all pray for a lighter call day and night. After Sat. morning rounds though I'm on a 8-5 M-F schedule for all of Feb!! Yeah! Can't wait!


Brandon is tired, but has managed so far not to get our illnesses (same for Pedro). He's still working on the basement- putting in doors and outlet covers, but is pretty excited about the progress. He switched to a different emphasis at his job so is working on getting up to speed in the new department, so is really busy at work. We went to his company Christmas party last weekend though, and everyone spoke very highly of his work! (Of course).


Other BJ news- he was weighed at his doc appt and now weighs 15 lbs. Crazy. The doc says I must have bionic breastmilk! My partners at work constantly remind me that "fat" breastfed babies do not have any increased disposition towards adulthood obesity, which is good. (But not to make anyone feel guilty about formula feeding either.) Luckily for both BJ and me I'm still being able to keep up with him as far as pumping and really have yet to touch my stockpile in the freezer (knock on wood). We'll see how long that lasts.


Anyway, better hit the sack. Here are some recent pics of BJ.

Sitting in the Bumbo chair- what a big boy! (He actually didn't stay long, he doesn't like it yet)



Sleeping- snuck one hand out of the swaddle, hopefully soon he will be able to sleep swaddle free!

No comments: