Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Have you fallen in the last 6 months?

So the clinic I currently am going to is a faculty OB clinic at the University of Colorado. Mostly because my insurance only covers me there and I was hoping not to have a resident that I new (or worse yet, i didn't like) deliver me- but hearing about a friends recent experience tells me I was mistaken in this hope. Anyway- the nurse always opens the visit with 2 questions- are you having any pain? and Have you fallen in the last 6 months? Now the second is already flawed- why would it matter if I fell 5 or 6 months ago given that I'm only 4 months pregnant. But anyway- stupid me, I remembered at my last week's visit that I went skiing when I was 8 weeks pregnant- and since I'm not an amazing skier- did fall. I did actually have an amazing wipeout that involved falling into a snowbank next to a tree necessitating that my lovely husband dig me out! So I answered honestly- big mistake. I immediately heard "well you should have come in immediately so that a nurse could have evaluated you." No offense, but at 8 weeks the uterus is still in the bony pelvis, I wasn't cramping or bleeding, and short of an ultrasound, no one could have been able to tell me I wasn't going to loose the baby or could have stopped me if I was going to. Not to mention my chances of miscarrying due to the fall were miniscule in comparison to miscarrying due to a chromosomal defect. So I said "okay" and thought this was the end of it. No, not quite. They sent in the charge nurse to discuss the fall with me, who knew what I do for a living but said she had to document this as an accidental fall (good since I actually was planning to land the crazy downhill I tried) and gave me a reminder to avoid "high risk sports in the future" and a handout on how to avoid falls. It was promptly thrown away! Note to self, always answer no.
Anyway, my visit went fine, I have a peppy baby according to this doc- the heart tones were fast (which by the way does not have any bearing on the gender, contrary to popular belief). I'm scheduled for our ultrasound mid-June- too late for my taste, but we'll try to remedy that! We hit some garage sales this weekend and were able to get a great deal on a Snugli backpack baby carrier and a travel system (car seat and stroller that snap together). Very fun! I actually had some gutsy gal today who didn't know I was pregnant ask me when I was due (I couldn't decide if I should be happy or if I'm too big!) I make it a point to not ask until extremely obvious because we have all heard about those poor gals who aren't pregnant who get asked that! Anyway, I'll give you another growing bump pic and sign off for tonight! I keep telling you it's getting bigger!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Happy Anniversary, guys!!!

jomama said...

Ahh! You do have a cute little bump now. That is awesome and fun to see the progress. Glad that things are gong so well. Jo