Friday, June 27, 2008

San Francisco and other milestones!

I know it has been forever since I have blogged- please forgive a busy gal! So updates- I have finished my first year of residency- I am no longer and intern!! The experience was great- and although my usual criticism of my rotations on eval is the lack of sleep, I thoroughly enjoyed it (overall). Even late nights can be good- good learning, but now more than ever, I like my sleep! I completed one month of call without a supervising upper level resident, and now I am a supervising resident! Starting next week I have an intern to teach while on call- scary! Glad to be done with one year though. Our third year residents graduate on Sat. and it will be hard to see them leave :(. 5/6 are staying in Denver for practice so that helps, but still sad. So B and I decided we had plenty to celebrate (new upcoming baby boy, 5 years of marriage, finishing first year of residency, one year in CO, etc.) and we haven't had a very official vacation for a while (or 5 years) so we flew to San Francisco last weekend. It was fabulous. B found us a great deal on an awesome hotel and pretty much planned the whole thing. We slept in a lot (fabulous), saw the golden gate bridge, Muir woods (the redwoods- not giant seqouias if you need clarification, ask me later), Alcatraz, Union square, Chinatown (and Japantown), Little Italy, Fisherman's Wharf, Baker Beach-the works! Brandon learned some new things about pregnancy- namely that his previously very fit wife now sucks wind and occasionally has stabbing pain when walking up hills or on a 12 mile bike ride. (He's sweet though and would ask- the little guy kicking your butt?) But I still beat him speed walking in the airport- he says I'm disqualified for knocking over a small child, but I say he's making it up! So I'll post a few pics below.

Also, I finished Step 3 of the USMLE boards today- very good feeling. It's a 2 day (up to 16 hour) test that if I pass allows me to get my license. I still need to finish residency, but it's another milestone! After this I'll have Family medicine boards after 3rd year that will be retaken every 7 years, but step 3 is pretty big anyway. You can all pray I passed!
The bump compared to a redwood.

Brandon in jail at Alcatraz

No comments: