Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Think before you speak!

As my stomach grows, I have been more acutely aware of people's comments and how hurtful they can be. Now granted, I know I'm more sensitive and emotional due to this little one growing inside me but seriously, some people need some PC training. I have said a few times that all husbands of pregnant women should go to a class about what to say and what not to say to their pregnant wives, but I have run into some people that are clearly not thinking lately! My two favorites from the last two days came from students (different ones) working at my program. The first "wow, you look really pregnant today"- nice, really helpful. The other was worse, "the hospital is really cold today, but I suppose you don't notice it since you have all that baby fat to keep you warm"- really I have lots of baby fat? I'll have you know despite my growing belly I still work out 3-5 days a week (sometimes being on call doesn't help- dang those 30 hour shifts) and can flex my abs to make my stomach rock hard despite it's size. Not that I'm defensive! I can't imagine these people would say anything to people who are merely fat, so why say such interesting comments to me. Evidently I'm supposed to be thrilled I'm so large and immune to such comments. For the record- I am thrilled about this baby, not so thrilled about the weight gain (if you haven't realized it yet). I could have kissed the nurse at my OB appointment yesterday when she got me on the scale, got my weight and said "still tiny." She may say that to everyone in the clinic, but it so helps!! Anyway, I'm on call tomorrow night (have a lady laboring on the deck tonight so it may be a really long call) and then postcall have the ultrasound Thursday- so we'll update you all on gender then! In the meantime- here's the latest pic, and think before you speak!! (Note: I know this pic is further away, speak with my photographer if you want exact pics!)

No comments: