Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Long Goodbye

So I know that this won't make much sense to non-dog lovers out there, but I am heartbroken.  We've started the process of our long goodbye to our wonderful dog, Pedro. I know he has been a pain in the butt (a lot) but I love him so much.  We have been struggling with BJ's reactive airway disease/asthma for some time now and had him allergy tested.  He came back positive at a high level for dog allergy and is likely contributing to his wheezing.  So we are in the process of finding a different home for Pedro.  We have asked a few people, but we just want the best for him.  (But know the best for our little boy is to not have a dog and he comes first!)  So I will miss my huge lug of a dog- a lot.  I will miss his cuddling with us while watching a movie, his following me around the house when I get home, his ecstatic energy when we get home, his calming presence when I'm upset, his "keep going" attitude on runs- it is going to leave a big whole in my heart for a while.  I know Brandon isn't as heartbroken- which just shows you how much he is more my dog.  And really, he has become much more mellow and behaved in the last years.  Tonight he even walked with me off leash to the mailbox and back- heeling the whole way.  I hate that we told him his life would change with BJ but maybe for the better and now we have to get rid of him.  I know he doesn't understand anything- but it hurts.  I just hope that we can find a place where he can be loved and be a blessing to another family.  Even BJ has enjoyed watching him and talking to him over the last month or two, I'm sure they would have been best buds.  I just hope that at some level Pedro understands.

My boys hanging out together:


In other news, BJ is becoming more and more interactive these days.  He rolls all over the place, is constantly trying to reach and get to things, and loves using Mom and Dad as transportation to get where he wants to go.  Today was his first day in the bigger kid room at daycare.  Pretty funny- there are little ones who crawl and walk in there but they told me someone was crawling by BJ with a cell phone and he grabbed out of the little boy's hand- I guess we won't have to worry on him getting picked on too much!  Anyway, it is late, I should get some sleep.


No comments: